Saturday, July 2, 2011

Buchty



I went over to my friend Nina's house yesterday where she and I made Buchty yesterday afternoon using her Home recipe from Slovakia.

Buchty is (are) a simple Czech pastry made from basic ingredients: flour, milk, eggs, butter and sugar. They are sweet yeast buns baked with Povidla (thick plum jam) filling. Thinly rolled squares of dough are dabbed with the preserves then pinched together so that the jam is sealed within, then baked. You can also use other types of fillings( other jams, sweet cheese, etc ).

Really good. We even made a spur of the moment variation when we ran out of Plum dzem; using Lentilky. We added 4 or 5 Lentilky(like US M&M's) in place of the Plum preserve. They melted while being baked and provided a different and nice chocolaty treat.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic!!! :-) Mňam
    Scott, could you send me the recipe please? ;-) we have also our home recipe for Buchty, but I´d like to try other. Thanks

    ReplyDelete