Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgivng Day



Thursday was Thanksgiving in the US. and this is the Tom Turkey I cook for the occasion... 20 pounds, almost 10 kgs. I had 11 people around the table but one person had to sit next to the table, as I couldn't fit anyone else around the table comfortably. My father choose that 'honor'.

In typical American fashion; too much food. For my friends in Prague, here was the menu in addition to the turkey: mashed potatoes and gravy, hubbard squash, sausage dressing, Brussel sprouts with bacon and pecans, cranberry relish, roasted pear chuntney, green bean casserole, rolls, and several different wine varietals( pinot gris, chardonney, pinot noir, merlot) and I made my Friend Eva's recipe for Svařák, the Czech version of Mulled wine that I grew to love while living in Prague and this time of year, it is a perfect drink.

so there you have it...

and by the way, that turkey was done perfectly. A crispy skin and very tender, after 6.5 hours cooking in a slow oven. Mnam.

almost forgot: for dessert, Coffee from Vescovi caffe in Prague ( ;-) ), Apple, Pumpkin and Shoofly Pies. The last one is an Amish specialty that I thought I might try, after seeing it made on a cooking show.

No comments:

Post a Comment