Saturday, April 23, 2011

As American as Apple Pie






...This afternoon I made an Apple Pie to have for Dessert tomorrow after Easter Sunday dinner.

Apple Pie as it is made over here is far different from Apple Strudel. Both the consistency of the apples and the crust after is baked make it different, and perhaps even the amount of Cinnamon that is used. The sliced Apples have a softer consistency and the pastry is a bit lighter and there is more "juice" when the pie is served.

I ultimately used 7 fairly large Apples(I added to two remaining apples in the 2nd photo after it was taken). The Green Apples are called 'Granny Smith' apples and the red ones are a variety called 'Cameo'. The spices used were a combination of Cinnamon, Nutmeg and AllSpice, called Apple Pie Spice. Voi-la.

The above photos chronicle the making of my pie; for you to enjoy.

What you can't enjoy though is the smell of the house now that the pie has come out of the oven... It is a smell that I think is purely American. A fragrance of cooked apples, cinnamon and pastry... Mnam.

Wish you were here to enjoy it with me. Cau.

UPDATE: the top photo shows how the pie looked after I sliced a few slices out of it

1 comment: