Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Erie Canal in Fairport; Pre-Spring



Fairport. A small Village with a major Rail line running though it as well as the Erie Canal. As many of you know, I used to live in Fairport before I began living in Prague. And starting on May 1st, I will once again begin living in Fairport again when I move into my Apartment in the Village.

The Erie Canal. The Erie Canal runs directly through the center of town and as some of my former students know, since we had a lesson on it at some point back in time. It is a historical inland waterway.

It was built in 1825 and traverses New York State, from the Hudson river in the East(which runs south to New York City(NYC) from Albany) to Lake Erie (at Buffalo) in the West, thereby connecting the Atlantic Ocean in New York City to the Great Lakes, which can take one well into the center of the United States.

The Canal that still runs through New York State is now a recreational Park, used by boaters, hikers and bicyclers. The pictures here show the canal in it's Winter state. Drained. The water is drained out of it each Fall before freezing temperatures to protect the walls of the Canal. There is always enough water left over the winter, so the canal can be used for ice-skating and some ice-fishing.

These pictures show the canal from West Church Street looking West as the canal curves around and heads toward the center of the village.

As this early Spring Matures into Real Spring I will show you the evolution of this path/trail, since I walk it routinely for exercise. It becomes much greener.

I do miss my walking all throughout Praha, though... Nothing can compare to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment